13 Jul > 30 Sep
Jazz & Love Exhibition
Part of the Marseille Jazz des Cinq Continents Festival
Curated by Vincent Bessières
This exhibition explores the different ways that jazz and love resonate together by offering a unique artistic experience that juxtaposes paintings, sculptures, and photography.
Jazz & Love features work by some of the most important artists of the 20th century including Jean-Michel Basquiat, Arman, Niki de Saint Phalle, and Nicolas de Staël. The exhibition brings together work from the collections of the museums in Marseille as well as loaned pieces from private collections in France and abroad, including the first ever display of work in France by the African-American artist Rico Gatson.
The exhibition also features an interactive space where the visitor can select a vinyl record and take the time to listen to the sources of inspiration for the show.
- 2 paintings by Jean Michel Basquiat in homage to Louis Amstrong. One is part of the Musées de Marseille collection and the other is on loan from Agnes B.
- Work by Nikki de Saint Phalle and Nicolas de Stael from the Musées de Marseille collection
- Arman artwork from the Musée de Nice, Rancillac from the Centre Pompidou
- Ouattara Watts artwork from the Magazzino gallery in Rome
- George Condo from the Galerie Cartasch in Saint Moritz
- Rico Gatson (feature on the exhibition poster!) from the Feldman Gallery in New York City
And many other surprises !
Curated by Vincent Bessière
A coproduction of the Musées de Marseille and the Marseille Jazz des Cinq Continents festival
Summer Hours from 12 July to 16 September > 9:30am to 6:30am
From 18 September until 30 September > 10am to 6pm.
Ticket InfoPaid Event
>Guided visits for adults or families: Sundays at 11am.
Children’s Admission: 4€ / Adult Admission: 6€ or reduced rate of 3€ for unemployed, elderly, veterans, etc.